Thursday, March 14, 2013

Habemus Papum!

And there you have it.  A new pope.

Riveting?  It was for me.  I was just a child when Pope John Paul II was chosen.  I remember Pope Benedict's election better since it was just eight years ago.

But I do not recall sitting to watch him be announced to the world.

This time I did. 

What an electric moment.

I read a line on one of the news sites about how once you see the white smoke and you are waiting to see who will be the pope, it's something like waiting for a baby to be born.

True.

So true.

Initial thoughts on Pope Francis I?

He is in my prayers.  He faces many challenges.  The Roman Catholic Church has faced struggles and scandal over the years.  By all accounts he seems to be a traditionalist. . .not likely to make radical changes to the Church.  He is compassionate without compromising Church teachings.  He is humble.  Many are pointing to the symbolism of his name--the first Pope Francis and the idea that Francis of Assisi was a humble man who worked to rebuild the Church.

Prayers for our Pope Francis.  May God bless him.

No comments:

Post a Comment