Monday, November 11, 2013

The Eleventh Hour of the Eleventh Day of the Eleventh Month. . .We Pause

Every year my school holds a Veterans Day Assembly.  We invite veterans from our community--from our faculty and our school family--to join us for a reception and assembly in their honor. 

Our choir sings.  Our band plays.  We have a speaker who comments on what it means to serve and why does he/she serve.  We do a slide show to recognize those who have served in the armed forces.  We have one trumpeter out in a hallway perform taps.

It is beautiful.  It is moving.  It is a chance to stop and think about what others have done and continue to do in the name of peace and safety for not just our nation, but for the world overall.

I leave you with the Battle Hymn of the Republic, one of the pieces our choir always performs.  This year their performance was spectacular--our guest speaker, a Major General, jumped to stand and applaud them for their performance.  I wish I had a video of it but I haven't seen one yet.  Instead, I offer the performance of the US Army chorus

The Battle Hm of the Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment