Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Favorite things

It's important to sit back and take count of the good stuff.  The favorite things in life.  So here goes. . .a list of things that make me smile.
  • Creme brulee coffee in the morning with French vanilla creamer.  Always delicious but if it has caffeine it ceases to be my favorite thing come bedtime.
  • "Brown-Eyed Girl" on the radio in the morning when I get in the car with my brown-eyed girls to go to school.
  • Brownies.  Is there ever an occasion that couldn't be enriched by a plate of brownies?  I think not.
  • Hot chocolate with French vanilla creamer (tastes like you added marshmallows but you didn't--just creamy amazingness!)  It's especially good at night before bed.
  • Down comforters.  I absolutely love when it gets cold enough outside that I can put the down comforter on my bed.  Soft, lightweight and snuggly.  Perfection.
  • Bracelets.  I have 3 that I love to wear together; they jingle all day long reminding me of the people who gave them to me.  The first is from my mother and is supposed to have a healing, calming energy.  The second is from my husband from his trip to New York City; he was well advised by an older lady on that trip to pick up a bracelet for me.  And finally I have one that my best friend asked her husband to make for me out of rosary beds.  In a pinch I can use it to say the rosary.
  • My grandmother's amethyst ring.  I still remember seeing it on my grandmother's dresser when I was a wee thing.  I couldn't touch it but I knew I wanted it. . .one day.  After my grandmother died, my aunt passed it on to me for my birthday.  I was very touched because my aunt could have passed it to a cousin with a February birthday but she knew just how much I adored the ring so she gave it to me for my August birthday.  My grandmother's daddy gave it to her.  It is priceless.
  • My house.  What can I say.  I had the luck of designing my home and getting just what I wanted.  OK, maybe not absolutely everything I wanted.  But that was because I was determined to have a "turn of the century" style home but just after the turn of the next century.  You have to make some trade offs when you update an early 1900's plan to the 2000's.    But we worked with an incredible builder who was willing to work within the limitations of the design and give us a new home with the feel of an old home, right down to the very narrow wood gunstock hardwood flooring we chose and the other 'old" finishes we insisted on having.
  • A good old gas furnace with forced warm air.  There is nothing quite like it the first time you turn that baby on when the cold weather hits.  Some people hate the smell.  It brings memories of home for me.  It also delivers warm air for my always cold feet so who can argue with that?
  • Mail.  Facebook and texts and email all have their place.  But there is nothing quite like the joy when you schlep out to the mailbox and find a card or letter "just to say hi!"
The weather is a bit gloomy out today so it's been good exercise in happiness for me to work on a list of ten favorite things today.  I can't indulge in coffee, hot chocolate or brownies at the moment.  In fact, I have some errands to run.  Maybe I should check into decaf creme brulee for when I get home tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment