Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Another one for the freezer. . . .

How did we do it?  We used to live without A/C. . .heck we even played outside in the middle of the summer!  My girls now act like they might melt outside, unless of course they are in the pool.

When it's so hot outside, I am not a fan of spending much time in the kitchen fixing a big meal.  So whenever I can make some extras to stick in the freezer, I do.  One of my favorite lifesavers from the freezer is meatballs.  I have 2 recipes that I really like. . .1 for Meatball Sub sandwiches and one for Meatball Souvlaki.   They can be used interchangeably. My kids are split on which ones they like best.

Beef Meatballs for meatball sub sandwiches
1 1/2 lbs ground round
1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 c breadcrumbs
1/4 c tomato sauce

3/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp crushed garlic (from a jar--check the produce section of your grocery store)

Combine the above ingredients.  Mix well.  You should be able to get about 30 meatballs.  Place them in a shallow baking dish and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.  Let cool and put in Ziploc bags to freeze for later use.

To make meatball subs, get hoagie buns, mozzarella cheese and your favorite marinara sauce. Sprinkle cheese on the buns and place them in the broiler for a couple of minutes.  Warm meatballs in the microwave or on top of the stove.  Warm the marinara sauce separately.  Assemble sandwiches.

Tomorrow--Meatball Souvlaki!

No comments:

Post a Comment